Fire Prevention and Inspection
00Inspections and Other Permits
Pittsfield Fire Department offers many types of inspections, some are listed below
- Place of Assembly
- Oil Burner Inspections
- Wood Stove Installation Inspection
- Foster Care
- Child Care Agency Inspection
- Smoke Detector Installation
Most inspection are conducted during are conducted between 9am – 4pm Monday though Friday, in the evening hours and during the day on Saturday and Sunday. All inspections are by appointment.
Crowd Manager Training
Crowd Managers are required in some occupancies. Above is a link to the Crowd Managers training On-line site. Once Crowd Manager Training is complete the occupancy must provide written proof stating the names of the individuals trained.
Knox Box Program
In order to provide a faster and more secure service to our community, the Pittsfield Fire Department has adopted the Knox-Box® Rapid Entry System. The Knox-Box® Rapid Entry System is a secure emergency access program developed for property owners and fire departments. When a fire breaks out or there is a medical emergency, Knox® products allow immediate entry into buildings and property without forced entry damage or delay. Property owners store entrance keys, access cards and floor plans in high-security Knox-Boxes mounted near building entrances. Each Knox-Box purchased by a property owner is keyed to a single master key controlled by the Pittsfield Fire Department only.
In addition to key boxes and vaults, Knox padlocks and key switches operate with the same master key.
Increased property damage and even total loss is a threat when property is not accessible.
Knox-Boxes are constructed of 1/4″ solid steel with a 1/2″ steel door and reinforced locking mechanism. They are UL listed against physical attack and the Medeco security lock is patented and UL listed for drill, pick and pull resistance. Knox-Boxes are specified by the Pittsfield Fire Department but are purchased directly from the Knox Company. Once installed near the entrance to your property, the fire department locks your building entrance key inside the Knox-Box so that it is available onsite for future emergencies.
If you have any further questions feel free to call the Knox Company at 800-552-5669 or you can visit the Knox website at www.knoxbox.com. Otherwise, please call the Pittsfield Fire Department at 603-435-6807 to obtain an order form and installation instructions.
Five reasons to install a Knox-Box system on your home or business.
1. Eliminate needless, costly forced entry damage that may not be covered by your Insurance deductible.
2. Assure immediate building entry by firefighters and paramedics without delay or waiting for building keys.
3. Protect inventory, equipment and supplies from unnecessary water damage caused by delayed sprinkler shut-off.
4. Satisfy any local fire codes and emergency access ordinances that may be in place.
5. Feel secure about emergency coverage when your building/residence is left unattended. The Pittsfield Fire Department holds the only key to the Knox-Box.
Fore more information about inspections or programs contact:
- Inspector Don Tyler 435-6807 or 247-3530
- Chief Peter Pszonowsky 435-6807